3-5 Park Street
Later and long-time home of Woman's Journal and many suffrage organizations. See map here. Below are some great old photos of the site. I used the first one in my book Summer Suffragists.
Great photo of Park Street, which runs up the hill from the Park Street Church at right to the State House. Boston Common is on the left. Park Street subway stations are in the foreground. In the middle of the Park Street block, the lighter colored buildings were 3-5 Park Street.
E. Chickering & Co., "One panoramic photo of Park St. Station, showing Park St. Church and State House in distance, Boston, Mass.," about 1903 (edited). Courtesy of Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2007661060/.
Another photo of the same view. Marr, Thomas E., -1910. "Park Street Church, looking north, April 1, 1906," 1906, Boston Pictorial Archive, Boston Public Library, Digital Commonwealth, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/nv935h56j
From the left, the second building is No. 9 Park Street, then another building intervenes before 3-5 Park Street. "Boston. Streets. Park Street, from State House." 1858, Boston Pictorial Archive, Boston Public Library, Digital Commonwealth, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/nv935g20z
"Boston Common. 1918, showing Tremont and Park Sts," 1918, Boston Pictorial Archive, Boston Public Library, Digital Commonwealth, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/nv935h825.
In this 1918 photo, looking up Tremont Street, Park Street is barely discernable in the far center, but lighter colored buildings stand out as likely 3-5 Park Street. The State House is at the left in the distance. Just right of center, one of these buildings (since demolished) held the headquarters of the Boston Equal Suffrage Association for Good Government (BESAGG) from 1916 to 1918. It was at 167 Tremont. For more information, see this page.
In the foreground, center, are the Boylston Street entrance and exit buildings of the Tremont Street subway. Boston Common is at the left. The light colored column is the Boston Massacre Monument, also known as the Crispus Attucks Monument, dedicated in 1888. See Geo. H. Walker & Co. "Map of Boston Common and Public Garden," 1901, Norman B. Leventhal Map & Education Center, Boston Public Library, https://collections.leventhalmap.org/search/commonwealth:1257b9784.
To the left of the Boston Massacre Monument, outside the frame of this photo, would be the Parkman Bandstand, built in 1912. On Feb. 24, 1919, during Pres. Wilson's visit to Boston, suffragists of the National Woman's Party demonstrated at the State House and burned a purported copy of the President's speech at the Parkman Bandstand. As many as 25 suffragists were arrested, and 19 were jailed.
AbhiSuryawanshi, "Aerial view of Parkman Bandstand at Boston Common," 2017, Wikipedia, licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International license.
In the photo further above, "Boston Common 1918," note the building right of center with the pyramidal top and the dark flag flying above it. This was 171-172 Tremont Street, the Boston Herald building. It lasted from before 1895 until about 1930. The top is a magnificent melange of multiple peaks, with the central tall peak being multi-faceted with multiple window panes. The top is similar in form to the Herald's prior building on "Newspaper Row" on Washington Street. See the Boston Journalism Trail (the Herald is site 23 on the BJT map). This Tremont Street building was still called the "new Herald building" when it was sold in 1910. Boston Globe, April 9, 1910, 4, col. 1. In 1912, the Herald acquired the Boston Traveler and combined operations at this Tremont Street location. Boston Globe, June 27, 1912, 2. It was called the Herald building in the 1916 Boston Directory, page 75 (177 is a typo and should have been 171), here, and page 309.
In 1930, Leslie Jones took excellent photos of the building. The photos were titled "Boston Herald before the new Herald building goes up." The photos are held by the Boston Public Library, see here. Note the inscription “Boston Herald” over the entry, and “Boston Herald” and “Herald Traveler” written on windows above the entry. The right section of the building has the same light-colored quoin corners as in the 1918 photo further above. From this building, in 1929, Leslie Jones took a photo of the Parkman Bandstand, here.
Marr, Thomas E., -1910. "Boston Common and Tremont Street," 1905, Boston Pictorial Archive, Boston Public Library, Digital Commonwealth, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/nv935h92d
In this 1905 photo, Park Street is at the left, and the buildings there have many awnings. Tremont Street runs across the photo. 167 Tremont, BESAGG headquarters from 1916 to 1918, would be just right of center. The Herald building would be nearly at far right.
Other old images of Park Street include this one. Others tend to focus on the Amory-Ticknor house at 9 Park Street. See one from 1886 here, one undated, three from 1934 here, here, and here. 1935 HABS photo, and c1935 HABS survey. A book about Park Street has two images of Park Street, and fascinating history, but no mention of suffrage activity. Robert Means Lawrence, Old Park Street and its Vicinity (Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1922), frontispiece and 52, here. The Massachusetts Historical Society has more photos of Park Street. See also Derek Strahan, "Beacon and Park Streets, Boston," October 19, 2015, Lost New England blog, here.